Saturday, August 28, 2010

MILES TO GO BEFORE I SLEEP


When you are in the valley, keep your goal firmly in view and you will get the renewed energy to continue the climb. -Denis Waitley






In my world, this running season, Saturday signifies "long run day".  I wake up to meet with my running group in the Denver / Boulder area for a 6:00AM or 6:30AM start. Many of the runs tend to be in South Denver, so I find myself waking up at 4:45 for the longer runs to be there on time!

Today, my run schedule said I had to run 16 miles. You will find out later in this post if I stuck to this mileage. We met in Lone Tree and began at 6AM since everyone was adding mileage and running for a longer amount of time. The terrain was pretty hilly compared to past group runs with an elevation change of approximately 85 feet per mile! What a workout!!

I ran almost the whole time with my pace group up and over hills and switchbacks.... The couple of times we went downhill, we were definitely super stoked!!

Now I haven't been sore yet running with this group - but today's run changed everything. I talked to other runners about this when we were stretching and FINISHED and they said they had strange pains and soreness....I guess it wasn't just me. I will blame the terrain. I will say though that I am thankful my longest run to date was on difficult terrain because this will make my other long runs easier. Fellow group runners said this was the most difficult long run they had done while running with our group! I guess that says something to.

Instead of 16 miles, I ended up putting in 18. Yes, it was super tough and I did have to walk for some of Mile 17..... BUT I was happy I decided to pick it up a notch. The distance matched up with the original Level 2 training plan I had been working off of. I was just thankful to be running with great people - they helped get me through and conquer those hills!!

Happy Running to all!! It is time for me to hit the hay!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails